What Exporters Need to Do
- If you don’t already have an EORI number, apply for one without delay. The application is completed online here
- Exporters should review their sales to customers in the remaining EU countries and the countries with which the EU has a free trade agreement (FTA). How many shipments are you involved in, value of shipments and the tariff rate chargeable after Brexit. From this information, you can calculate the total additional costs that you and your customer will face.
- Review the terms of the contract you have with each customer. In particular, consider the Incoterms used. This is extremely important especially if your customer in the EU insists that you supply them under Incoterms DDP. You may need to change some of the terms because of Brexit. Incoterms will show who will be responsible for paying any duties and for carrying out the export and import declarations.
- Find out how much the export declarations will cost. Your freight forwarder should be able to help you with this, also check what information they will required from you.
- Review any long-term declarations. If you have provided long-term declarations to customers, these will give information about the country of origin of the goods. After Brexit, UK origin products will no longer be of EU origin and this could affect trading terms your customer has with their customers.
- Ensure that accompanying documentation for exports meets requirements. Invoices should correctly show product definitions, HS tariff codes, gross and nett weights, and dimensions. Customs invoices will be needed even if the goods are not being sold and must show the true value of the goods.
- Find out whether any export customers currently benefit from nil or lower tariff rates because of EU FTAs. These will no longer apply after Brexit, meaning your customer will have to pay duties that did not previously apply. Details of current agreements can be found here.
If you need a Customs Broker in the UK or require freight forwarding services then contact our sister Company Independent Freight Solution Ltd on 02476 343037 or email at Jenny@independent-freight.com
Independent Freight are an HMRC AEO approved Freight Forwarder
Alternatively if you need Customs or Brexit Planning advice then do not hesitate to contact us at David@hooperandco.com